- You are here:
- Production Lead
The Production Lead reports to the Director of Infrastructure. Production engineers report to the Production Lead.
- Interviews applicants for production and developer positions
- Does 1:1's with all reports every 2-5 weeks (depending on the experience of the report)
- Is available for 1:1's on demand of the report
- Maintains an on-call schedule for 24x7 uptime for GitLab.com and GitHost.io
- Ensures high uptime and performance of GitLab.com
- Prioritizes performance and scalability features with development team
- Ensures infrastructure issues are well-documented
- Provides necessary infrastructure (e.g. servers, databases, etc.) for company
- Coordinates with the team and product managers about plan for the work in the upcoming week
- Delivers input on promotions, function changes, demotions and firings in consultation with the CEO, CTO, and VP of Engineering
- Is the guardian of configuration parity between GitLab.com and on premises installations
If we don't translate our learnings from running and scaling GitLab.com (the largest GitLab-EE installation) into a default setting we will be making really expensive mistakes.
Consider the GitLabFan case when a customer tried to import his projects into an on-premise installation and found multiple blockers in the way, including one that simply should not be there: limitation of 10 projects per user.
This frustrated this customer, and he/she is right, we can do much better. All exceptions should be documented on the GitLab.com settings page no later than they are deployed.
NOTE In the compensation calculator below, fill in "Lead" in the
Level field for this role.